On Monday, January 5, 2009, BART began a major elevator project replacing the street-level elevator enclosures at the Civic Center, Embarcadero, Montgomery and Powell Street BART/Muni Metro stations. This elevator enclosure replacement work is necessary to extend the life of the equipment and improve the reliability of the elevator doors. The entire Elevator Enclosure Replacement Project is anticipated to last from January 2009 - April 2010. Station work will proceed in the following order:
- Civic Center elevator (UN Plaza): January 5 – May 2009 (Back in service as of May 1, 2009)
- Embarcadero elevator (California/Drumm): May – August 2009 (Back in service as of August 21, 2009)
- Montgomery Street elevator (Sutter/Sansome): September – December 2009 (Back in service as of December 7, 2009)
- Powell Street elevator (Stockton/Ellis): January 2010 – April 2010
The street-level, city-operated elevator that serves Hallidie Plaza will remain open during the Powell Elevator Closure.
REPLACEMENT PROJECT DETAILS
To complete the work, it will be necessary for BART to close the elevators in order to replace the structure that houses the elevator entrance on Market Street. Construction will be done one station at a time. While an individual station elevator is being worked on, only the street elevator at that station will be closed. Although customers will have no elevator service to the street level, movement between the paid area to the platform level will remain in service. Escalators will remain in service and BART will increase preventative maintenance to reduce escalator breakdowns during these elevator closures.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For information about the project or transit alternatives, contact the following:
- BART Transit Information
- BART Paratransit Accessible Services at (510) 464-6184
- TTY for the hearing impaired (510) 839-2220
- San Francisco 311 Customer Service Center 311 - (415) 701-2311
- TTY for the hearing impaired (415) 701-2323
- Muni Paratransit Accessible Services at (415) 701-4485
- Muni Paratransit TTY (415) 701-4730
Passengers can also get online information at www.sfmta.com
Photo credit: Thumbnail image on homepage of elevator button by pbo31.