We know many of you are concerned about BART's service plans in the event there are public demonstrations in reaction to the sentencing in the Johannes Mehserle trial. We are expecting the announcement of the sentence on Friday, November 5, and we will use our main website, mobile website, email, text message, Twitter, RSS and phone systems to update you on what, if any, changes we may make to train service in order to deal with protests or other public reaction.
Depending on public reaction, we may need to close some stations temporarily or make other adjustments to service on short notice. BART Police and Operations staff are closely working with other local law enforcement agencies to coordinate plans. Our overall goal is to ensure your safety and to keep trains moving.
Real time BART service information in the palm of your hand
We encourage you to take advantage of our free wireless web and text message service advisories (standard text messaging and data rates may apply – check with your mobile provider). For more information about these services please see the links below. You can also access real-time BART service information on our main website (www.bart.gov/advisories) or by calling our Customer Services line at 510-465-BART (2278).
We also encourage you to take the time now to plan your alternative transportation options. Visit www.511.org for more information about alternative commute options.
BART service information:
- BART main website - www.bart.gov/advisories
- BART mobile website - m.bart.gov
- BART email and text messages (subscription) - www.bart.gov/alerts
- BART text messages (on-demand) - text 'BART service' to 878787 or visit www.bart.gov/sms
- BART Twitter - @SFBART
- BART Phone Center - 510-465-BART (2278)
- BART RSS - www.bart.gov/rss
Reporting security, safety or hazardous issues
For urgent matters while riding BART dial 911. We also urge you to program the BART Police Department's non-emergency, toll free number into your phone, 1-877-679-7000. You can also contact a Train Operator by using the train intercoms located at either end of a BART car, or contact a Station Agent either in person or by using a white courtesy phone inside a station. Here are additional useful numbers:
Police department contacts:
- BART Police (non-emergency) - 877-679-7000
- Oakland Police (emergency) - 911 or 510-777-3211
- Oakland Police tip line - 510-777-8814
- Oakland website/email alerts - www.oaklandnet.com
- Oakland Police Twitter - @oaklandpoliceca
- City of Oakland: recorded messages/updates - 510-444-CITY (2489)
- San Francisco Police (emergency)- 911 or 415-553-8090