WHEN A PERMIT IS REQUIRED:
Capturing motion or still images on BART property for commercial, educational or non-profit purposes requires a photography permit. BART charges a $300 application fee ($30 for students—see item 3 below), a location fee (which varies, see link below), and compensation for staff time. Mandatory insurance requirements can be found at the link below.
WHEN A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED:
If you are in areas accessible to the public, you are free to capture images and video provided you do not appear to be a security threat, are not involved in a commercial activity, and are not harassing other riders. If, however, you appear to be taking photographs of potentially sensitive areas or are obviously involved in some commercial enterprise (e.g., an advertising agency), BART employees and/or BART Police Officers may approach and take action against you. Professional equipment including but not limited to booms, discrete lighting, dollys, or any cameras larger than a handheld device are prohibited.
PERMIT RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT
Due to record ridership and operational / staffing constraints, BART is greatly reducing the number of permits approved and issued to applicants. Until further notice, only applications with significant, specific benefits to the District will be considered, as the time and resources required to accomodate commercial film productions on BART property interfere with our ability to deliver core services. We apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause.
-All applications must be submitted at least one month in advance of tentative production date.
-Applications to film on weekdays will not be approved.
IF YOU REQUIRE A PERMIT:
Please download the application as well the insurance requirements and fee policy (links to pdfs below). Before you fill out the application, please note the following:
- BART must receive both your application and application fee, in the form of a certified check or money order, no less than 20 business days (excluding BART administrative holidays) before your first proposed shoot date. There are no exceptions to this rule due to operational considerations.
- BART will not process your application until after we have received your application fee, which must be in the form of a certified check or money order. The application fee is $300. Students pay $30.
- Students will be required to show proof they are registered in an accredited learning institution, as well as proof that the shoot is for a current school project for credit.
- Please follow the directions on the application carefully so you know where to send your application and where to send your fee.
- BART will not issue any permit until all fees, including location fees and staff time fees, are paid in full via certified check or money order.
- BART will not issue permits until its Insurance Department approves all required insurance certificate(s).