Automatic Ticket Machines
All BART stations sell tickets through automatic ticket machines that accept nickels, dimes, quarters and $1 coins, as well as $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills. Credit and debit cards may be used at all stations in select credit and debit machines. Station locations are at www.bart.gov/stations.
*2018 CHANGES: Starting January 1, 2018, there will be a 50 cent surcharge per trip for paper tickets. Riders are encouraged to get a Clipper Card to avoid the surcharge.
BART is working to modify at least one ticket vending machine in each station to vend Clipper Cards. This work will be done by the end of 2017.
The only method to purchase BART fare online is www.clippercard.com. Clipper is an all-in-one transit card that keeps track of any passes, discount tickets, ride books and cash value that you load onto it, while applying all applicable fares, discounts and transfer rules.
Lake Merritt (Oakland), Embarcadero (San Francisco), 12th Street/Oakland City Center (Oakland) Stations, Ferry Building (San Francisco) and San Francisco International Airport terminals sell tickets or provide services:
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am–5 pm (check below for Ticket Exchange/RTC application hours)
Location: Lake Merritt Station (concourse level), 800 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607
- Debit/Credit Cards accepted for all transactions.
- Blue Tickets for Sale: $5, $20, $45 and $60 tickets
- Red Tickets (Youth/Disabled): Limit of 3 per person, per day
- Green Tickets (Senior): Limit of 3 per person, per day
- 2018 CHANGES: Starting 1/1/18, riders are encouraged to sign up for Clipper Card to avoid $0.50 per trip surcharge for these Blue, Red, Green paper tickets.
- Ticket Exchange Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 4 pm
- Ticket Exchange Limits: Blue Ticket - 1 demagnetized ticket limit; Red Ticket - 10 ticket limit; Green Ticket - 10 ticket limit
- Commuter Checks: Limit of 10 per person, per day.
- Senior Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Youth Clipper Card: Issued immediately only Monday - Friday, between 9 am - 4 pm. Requires proof of eligibility such as a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID or Regional Transit Connection Discount ID Card (disability card): Applications accepted Monday – Friday, 9 am – 4 pm
SENIOR/DISABILITY RIDERS: If you are a senior/disabled passenger who requires an attendant on transit, you and your attendant must both have personalized RTC Discount ID Cards in order for the attendant to pay the reduced fare. Transit agencies that do not accept Clipper ® require an RTC card to be eligible for the agency’s discount fare.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 am – 7 pm; Saturday, 9 am – 2 pm
Location: Embarcadero Station (concourse level), 298 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
- Personal Debit/Credit Cards, Paper Commuter Vouchers & TranServe Commuter Debit/Credit Cards: Accepted
- WageWorks or Commuter Check Debit/Credit Cards: NOT accepted
- AVAILABLE: Red Tickets (Youth/Disabled), Green Tickets (Senior) and High Value Tickets
- 2018 CHANGES: Starting 1/1/18, riders are encouraged to sign up for Clipper Card to avoid $0.50 per trip surcharge for these paper tickets.
- Adult Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Senior Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Youth Clipper Card: Issued immediately. Requires proof of eligibility such as a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID Card (disabled): Applications NOT accepted
- Damaged Tickets: See any BART station agent
For further assistance, contact Transit Information Center at www.bart.gov/siteinfo/contact.
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 10 am – 1:30 pm, 2:45 pm – 6 pm
Location: 12th Street/Oakland City Center Station, 1245 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
Telephone: Customer Services at 510-464-7134
Tickets/Services: Tickets with minimal values can be consolidated into a larger single ticket. Please note the following restrictions:
- Additional cash may be required
- 12th Street will consolidate tickets to the nearest dollar i.e. $2, $3, $4 etc.
- Maximum of 30 tickets per transaction
- Tickets submitted for exchange must have been purchased by cash or debit card
- Tickets purchased with a credit card must be processed for a refund by a Station Agent
- No cash refunds
Location: San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA 94128
Tickets/Services: Blue (Adult), Red (Disabled/Youth) and Green (Senior) tickets are sold at:
- Arrival Level International Terminal A
- Arrival Level International Terminal G
- Arrival Level Terminal 1
- Arrival Level Terminal 2
- Arrival Level Terminal 3
- Departure Level International Terminal G
2018 CHANGES: Starting 1/1/18, riders are encouraged to sign up for Clipper Card to avoid $0.50 per trip surcharge for paper Blue (Adult), Red (Disabled/Youth) and Green (Senior) tickets.
BART serves the San Francisco International Airport Station inside International Terminal, Level 3. All terminals are accessible by free AirTrain shuttle service. For SFO map, please go to www.flysfo.com.
Purchase Tickets at a Retail Location
BART red and green discount tickets are sold at some retail locations around the Bay Area.
UPDATE: MyTransitPlus stores have permanently closed and most vendors no longer provide BART tickets as more riders use the Clipper Card. Check www.bart.gov/tickets and selected retail vendors for latest BART ticket or smart card choices. Visit www.clippercard.com for more information on adult, disabled, senior and youth Clipper Cards.
Tickets by Mail
Send us a completed mail order form with a check or money order to receive your tickets by mail.
Purchase Tickets for a Student Group
Students on a school-sponsored field trip for an educational purpose are eligible. Students must be chaperoned by adults and enter and leave stations as a group.
Refund, Exchange or Donate Tickets
Learn more about claiming a ticket refund, consolidating tickets or donating the unused portion to local nonprofit.