Bike to work, skip the traffic, on Bike to Work Day May 14
Join thousands of Bay Area commuters as they get some fresh air and exercise, avoid high gas prices and pedal past traffic gridlock while biking to work or to BART on "Bike to Work Day," Thursday, May 14.
This is the Bay Area's 15th annual Bike to Work Day, promoting bicycling as a healthy, fun, and viable form of transportation.
To help people make the change to commuting by bicycle, Bike to Work Day events will be taking place throughout the month of May in the San Francisco Bay Area. On May 14, volunteers at hundreds of Energizer Stations will be located along bike commute routes in all nine Bay Area counties to provide cyclists with complimentary treats, a reusable goodie bag, bicycle information, and good cheer!
Sign up for the Bike to Work Day Raffle and pledge to bike to work, school or play at least once during the Month of May for your chance to win a new bike or one of many other prizes.
The Team Bike Challenge provides an opportunity for more experienced riders and new bicycle commuters to team up to save money and reduce pollution. Participants track their bike trips throughout the month of May as they compete against other teams to log the most bicycle trips for their chance to win prizes.
Bike to Work Day 2009 is presented by Kaiser Permanente, with promotions organized by the Bay Area Bicycle Coalition, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, county congestion management agencies, local bike coalitions and hundreds of local volunteers. For more information and a list of all the Energizer Stations, visit the Bike to Work Day page.
Regional Bike to Work Day Activities (call 510-250-0909 for more details):
- April 1: Team Bike Challenge registration begins
- April 20: Deadline for Bike Commuter of the Year Award Nominations
- May 1: Team Bike Challenge Begins
- May 14: Bike to Work Day
- May 31: Last day to register for Bike to Work Day Raffle
- May 31: Team Bike Challenge concludes
Even on Bike to Work Day, BART's bike rules still apply. For a complete description of rules regarding bikes on BART, pick up a "BART Basics Guide" or visit the Bikes on BART section of bart.gov. Here's a brief overview of some of BART's bike rules.
- Bikes are allowed on all trains except those trains shown in highlighted areas of the "BART Fares and Schedules" brochure.
- Bikes are never allowed on crowded cars.
- Bikes are allowed in any car but the first car of a train.
- Bicyclists must use elevator or stairs, not escalators, and always walk bikes.
- In case of an evacuation, leave your bike on the train and do not let it block aisles or doors.
- Bicyclists under 14 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Bikes must be parked in racks and lockers. Call 510/464-7133 for locker availability. Bikes parked against poles, fences or railings will be removed.
Photo credit: Homepage thumbnail image, detail of bicycle wheel, by Thomas Hawk.