Starting Aug. 3, give your feedback using the short survey at bart.gov/bikes
BART will launch a pilot program to allow bicycles on board trains all day long on Fridays in August. The idea is to see how allowing bikes on trains all day, including rush hour, will affect passengers and train operations. This pilot program does not change bicycle rules for Monday through Thursday, or BART’s prohibition of riders boarding with bikes in the first car or crowded trains remain in place.
“The bicycling community, particularly the East Bay and San Francisco Bicycle Coalitions, have been instrumental in helping us design this pilot project,” BART Board Vice President Tom Radulovich said. “Issues surrounding lifting the restrictions have been long-debated inside BART. I’m happy to see that we’re now about to put the idea to the test.”
"We commend BART's forward-looking response to the growing number of people combining bicycle and BART trips in the Bay Area," said Leah Shahum, Executive Director of the SF Bicycle Coalition, a 12,000-member nonprofit promoting bicycling for everyday transportation. "Making it easier for people riding bikes to use BART at all hours is a smart direction for the region's leading transportation provider."
“We are delighted to see the steps BART is taking to be a truly bicycle-friendly transit system. Improving bike access on BART will give East Bay residents more choices for a healthy active commute," said Renee Rivera, Executive Director of the East Bay Bicycle Coalition.
“BART’s pilot project follows the lead of the New York subway,” BART Board Member Robert Raburn said. “In New York, bikes are allowed, with the caveat for passengers to be courteous and to use common sense.”
Evaluation to include customer feedback
Evaluation of “Bike Fridays” will occur on each Friday. The evaluation will help determine if the pilot is extended or if BART continues to restrict bikes during peak periods. The evaluation will include feedback from riders, both cyclists and non-cyclists, and an analysis of operational issues, such as the amount of time a train remains at each station to accommodate bicycle boarding. Any suggested changes to BART’s bike rules will go to the BART Board for discussion.
BART is working with the BART Bicycle Advisory Task Force and with the BART Disability Task Force to make sure access issues are considered for all BART passengers.
Under BART’s current policy, Bikes are allowed on most trains, except those highlighted on www.bart.gov/schedules and also in the QuickPlanner. About 4% of BART customers ride bikes to BART stations. Among those 4%, about 60% bring their bikes on board trains. The other 40% take advantage of BART’s network of bike stations, electronic and keyed bike lockers and bicycle racks. For more information, see www.bart.gov/bikes.
Updated Aug. 3, 2012, with new video from first day of pilot