Free rides for field trips sold out, now accepting wait list
**As of Sept. 5, 2014 the 40,000 slots have been reserved and we have stopped taking reservations. We are accepting sign ups for a wait list should not all of the 40,000 reserved spots be confirmed. Visit www.bart.gov/fieldtrips
Registration is now underway for the 2014 “Free BART Rides for School Field Trips” program.
Approximately 40,000 Bay Area students (up to age 18), teachers and chaperones will have the opportunity to ride BART free for educational field trips thanks to a partnership with Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is funding the program.
Bay Area schools may now apply for free BART rides for educational field trips online on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration ends December 31, 2014 or sooner if the program reaches 40,000 riders.
Enrolled students of elementary, middle, and high schools located in the Bay Area on school-sponsored field trips for educational purposes are eligible.
To better serve more students throughout the Bay Area, each school is limited to six field trips. This will allow more schools to participate in the program. To register, go to www.bart.gov/fieldtrips
“Partnering on ‘Free BART Rides for School Field Trips’ is a natural extension of our commitment to a making sure children in the region have a rich educational experience,” said Mimi Hahn, vice president of marketing and communications for the nonprofit aquarium.
Here is a list of some BARTable cultural and educational destinations:
- Davies Symphony Hall: Civic Center BART, walk 3 blocks
- Asian Art Museum: Civic Center BART, Walk 2 blocks
- California Historical Society: Montgomery Street BART, Walk 2 blocks
- Cartoon Art Museum: Montgomery Street BART, Walk 2 blocks
- Children's Creativity Museum: Powell Street BART, Walk 2 blocks
- Contemporary Jewish Museum: Montgomery Street BART, Walk 2 blocks
- Exploratorium: Embarcadero BART, 15 minute walk
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts: Montgomery Street BART, Walk 3 blocks
- Berkeley Repertory Theatre: Downtown Berkeley BART, Walk 1 block
- Lesher Center for the Arts: Walnut Creek BART, Walk 4 blocks