BART is the best way to go holiday shopping!
You know BART is the best way to commute every day, but it's also the best way to get your holiday shopping done. You'll avoid traffic, parking and arrive relaxed and ready to shop.
Remember, parking in BART lots on the weekends is free! A number of great shopping destinations are BARTable, and you can plan your trip using bart.gov's online QuickPlanner.
Win a $1,000 Westfield shopping spree
Congratulations to Geoffrey U. who was the grand prize winner of the Take BART Holiday Shopping sweepstakes. He won a $1,000 shopping spree provided by Westfield San Francisco Centre.
The following runner-ups won a $100 Clipper card:
- Katie T.
- Danil. J.
- Claire A.
- Marty G.
- Shirley H.
- Anna M.
- Bob F.
- Arlene T.
- Christina F.
- Katrina H.
Check out these great BARTable shopping destinations
There are so many fabulous shopping centers near BART stations, there's no need to drive to satisfy everybody on your shopping list. Here are some of the shopping centers with the most convenient BART access:
Powell Street BART Station
- Westfield San Francisco Centre: One of the creme de la creme shopping experiences in San Francisco, the mall offers a variety of upscale stores and delectable dining for you to enjoy.
- Union Square: Known as San Francisco’s crown jewel of shopping, Union Square is surrounded by hundreds of stores -- from big name brands to luxury boutiques. You will find larger department stores bordering Union Square itself (located between Sutter and Post and Geary and Stockton streets). When you are ready to take a shopping break, look at Macy’s Great Tree -- decked out with more than 20,000 LED lights.
- Metreon: Whether you are completing your holiday shopping -- or looking for a brief respite -- the Metreon offers four stories and 350,000-square-feet of holiday fun. See a movie, feast on a fine meal or shop at two dozen stores (including a City Target) at the shopping center.
Embarcadero BART Station
- Embarcadero Center: Plan a special holiday experience with your friends and family and skate under the stars throughout the holiday season at Embarcadero Center, where you can shop, skate and dine. There's no better place during the holiday season than Embarcadero Center. The Embarcadero Ice Rink is open through January 5, 2014.
- Ferry Building: The Ferry Building is every foodie’s dream. The historic building houses shops that celebrate all things gourmet. Find that perfect artisanal cheese, the hard-to-find molcajete or decadent pecan pie all under one roof.
Walnut Creek BART Station
- Broadway Plaza (Free shuttle connection): Not all the great shopping is in San Francisco! Take BART to Walnut Creek, catch the County Connection Free Ride Trolley and enjoy Broadway Plaza without worrying about traffic or parking. The trolley schedule and route map are available here, but make a note that the shuttle will run later during the holiday season.
Downtown Berkeley BART Station
- Downtown Berkeley: Get all of your holiday shopping done in Berkeley. From vintage clothing boutiques to art galleries, Downtown Berkeley has a vibrant mix of shops that is sure to please anyone one your holiday list. Attend exciting holiday-themed events and support the local economy throughout the holiday season in Berkeley.
Rockridge BART Station
- Rockridge: Many of Oakland’s best restaurants and eateries are found along College Avenue in the Rockridge district. College Avenue boasts many intriguing shops including bookstores, boutiques and home furnishings stores and the Rockridge BART station is right in the middle of it all.
MacArthur BART Station
- Bay Street (Take the Emery Go-Round): Stroll, shop and have fun at Emeryville’s outdoor shopping mall. Bay Street offers a contemporary experience for those who like to shop in a downtown setting. The two-story shopping center also features a variety of dining options and a 16-screen AMC movie theater.
West Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station
- Stoneridge Shopping Center: Stoneridge Shopping Center is just a short walk from BART. The indoor mall has more than 165 stores, including men’s and women’s apparel, children’s fashion, electronics and specialty shops -- a premier shopping destination in the Tri-Valley area.
El Cerrito Plaza BART Station
- El Cerrito Plaza: If you’re shopping in the El Cerrito area, El Cerrito Plaza offers more than a dozen retail stores -- many of them offering bargain prices, which would make your wallet very happy.
San Bruno BART Station
- The Shops at Tanforan: If you’re heading up or down the Peninsula, pop in to The Shops at Tanforan where you'll find great sales and promotions throughout the holiday season. There you’ll find dozens of stores, plenty of dining and you can even catch a movie at Century Theatres. The Shops at Tanforan are just steps from the San Bruno BART Station.
Bay Fair BART Station
- Bayfair Center: The Bayfair Center features dozens of national retailers, plus a 16-screen Century Theater, live music and family-friendly community events. The San Leandro shopping mall offers alternative shopping for those looking to avoid the crowds of San Francisco.
BART shopping tips:
- Parking on the weekends is free at BART parking lots! Park, and let BART take you the rest of the way.
- Don't shop solo. It's safer and more fun to shop with friends and family.
- Keep your personal items close by and hide valuables such as cell phones when not in use.
- Keep wallets secure. Use purses or bags with zippered compartments or keep them in a front pocket.
- Stay alert on the train. Avoid dozing off on BART.
- Make sure your keys are readily accessible when approaching your vehicle and be sure not to buy more than you can safely carry.
- Report suspicious activity to the Train Operator via intercom or BART Police via toll free phone number: 877.679.7000.