BART extends hours, runs special service New Year's Eve
Trains will skip some stations, plus there will be more police and employees in the system
BART will extend service until 3 a.m. again this New Year's Eve, Friday, Dec. 31, 2010 -- and there will be two other extra efforts to help you arrive at your destination as safely and swiftly as possible. Trains will skip some stops in downtown San Francisco to ease overcrowding from the annual San Francisco fireworks show along the Embarcadero, and there will be an increased police and BART staff presence throughout the system.
East Bay Customers on the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond Lines:
Beginning at 8 p.m., trains going into San Francisco from Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond will not stop at Embarcadero Station. However, those trains will make all other stops. If you're headed to the San Francisco fireworks show on the Embarcadero, exit at Montgomery Street Station. Montgomery Street Station is located about one city block from Embarcadero Station. After the fireworks end around 12:20 a.m., return to Montgomery Street Station to catch trains bound for Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond because those trains will not stop at Embarcadero Station.
East Bay Customers on the Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont Lines:
Beginning at 8 p.m., trains going into San Francisco from Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont will not stop at Montgomery Street Station. However, those trains will make all other stops. If you're headed to the San Francisco fireworks show on the Embarcadero, exit at Embarcadero Station. After the fireworks end around 12:20 a.m., return to Embarcadero station to catch trains bound for Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont because those trains will not stop at Montgomery Street Station.
Peninsula Customers on the SFO/Millbrae and Daly City Lines:
From 8 p.m. until 12:20 a.m., trains going into San Francisco from Millbrae, SFO and Daly City will stop at all San Francisco stations. After 12:20 a.m., trains going to Millbrae, SFO and Daly City will stop at all San Francisco stations. That said, please use Montgomery Street Station after the fireworks to help ease overcrowding. (Passengers bound for San Francisco International Airport can board any train at Platform 1 at Embarcadero Station, then transfer at Balboa Park.)
Additional special event trains will also be standing by to carry you home during the busiest time after fireworks end.
2010 New Year's Eve Schedule (390k .pdf)
More Police and Employees in the System
This New Year's Eve you'll see more police and BART employees in stations and on trains. As with last year, law enforcement personnel from other nearby departments will augment the police presence on BART. In addition, BART administrative staff will join station agents in being the extra eyes and ears for the police throughout the evening.
BART expects large crowds heading into and out of San Francisco on New Year's Eve. You can help keep BART running safely and smoothly by following these simple tips:
- Buy a round-trip ticket before you start your trip and avoid long lines at ticket vending machines. You can also use the cash value, or BART's High Value discount, on the regional Clipper Card (http://www.clippercard.com/). BART will not be selling New Year's Eve flash passes this year.
- As always, there is no eating, drinking or smoking in BART stations or on BART trains.
- Remember to stay safely behind the yellow platform edge tiles.
- Once train doors begin closing, stay clear and do not attempt to hold the doors open.
- Bicycles are not allowed in crowded stations or on crowded trains. Additionally, in order to accommodate our disabled customers, bikes are never allowed on the first car of any train regardless of crowding.
- If you are in need of emergency assistance, contact a BART employee, use the white courtesy phones in stations, use the intercom located at either end of a train car, call 911 or call BART Police at 877-679-7000.
- If you do drink on New Year's Eve, please remember to drink responsibly. If you have parked your car at a BART station, please be sure to have a designated driver to get you home safely.
Parking Rules in Effect New Year's Eve
BART considers Friday, Dec. 31, 2010, a normal weekday and BART Police will enforce all parking regulations. New Year's Day is a BART parking holiday.
New Year's Day: Holiday Schedule
BART runs a holiday schedule on New Year's Day, Saturday, January 1, 2011. Service will begin at 8 a.m.