Permits for Photos and Videography
WHEN A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED:
If you are in areas accessible to the public and you are travelling our system going from one place to another, you are free to capture images and video provided you do not appear to be a security threat, are not involved in a commercial activity/film production, and are not harassing other riders. If, however, you appear to be taking photographs of potentially sensitive areas or are obviously involved in some commercial enterprise (e.g., an advertising agency or film production), BART employees and/or BART Police Officers may approach and take action against you. Using professional equipment including but not limited to booms, discrete lighting, dollys, or any cameras larger than a handheld device are prohibited without a film permit.
WHEN A PERMIT IS REQUIRED:
Capturing motion or still images on BART property for commercial, educational or non-profit purposes requires a photography/film permit.
- Mandatory proof of insurance is required.
- An application fee, a location fee, fees for use of BART equipment and services, and a fee for BART staff time will be assessed.
- All applicable fees must be paid in full by certified check and insurance requirements must be met before you begin your activity on BART property.
Submitting an application does not guarantee that BART will issue a Permit. BART’s primary purpose is to provide safe, secure, reliable, and clean transportation services to its passengers. BART may, at its sole discretion, deny your application to prevent interference with BART’s primary transportation responsibilities.
A typical permit requires one month lead time due to the planning involved, signing staff up to work the shift, insurance review, and time to have the final check in hand before the day of filming. You may check with staff by emailing [email protected] if a quicker turnaround is possible.
IF YOU REQUIRE A PERMIT:
Please download the application as well as the insurance requirements and fee policy (links to pdfs below).
Before you fill out the application, please note the following:
- BART must receive both your application and application fee, in the form of a certified check or money order, no less than 20 business days (excluding BART administrative holidays) before your first proposed shoot date.
- BART will not process your application until after we have received your application fee. We accept certified checks, money orders, wire transfers and credit cards. The application fee is $350. Students pay $30.
- Students will be required to show proof they are registered in an accredited learning institution, as well as proof that the shoot is for a current school project for credit.
- Please follow the directions on the application carefully so you know where to send your application and where to send your fee.
- BART will not issue any permit until all fees, including location fees and staff time fees, are paid in full via certified check, money order, wire transfer or credit card.
- BART will not issue permits until its Insurance Department approves all required insurance certificate(s). Be sure your COI meets all the requirement outlined in our Insurance Requirements document linked below.
Questions? Email us at [email protected]