WHEN A PERMIT IS REQUIRED:
Capturing motion or still images on BART property for commercial, educational or non-profit purposes requires a photography permit. BART charges a $300 application fee ($30 for students—see item 3 below), a location fee (which varies, see link below), and compensation for staff time. Mandatory insurance requirements can be found at the link below.
WHEN A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED:
If you are in areas accessible to the public, you are free to capture images and video provided you do not appear to be a security threat, are not involved in a commercial activity, and are not harassing other riders. If, however, you appear to be taking photographs of potentially sensitive areas or are obviously involved in some commercial enterprise (e.g., an advertising agency), BART employees and/or BART Police Officers may approach and take action against you. Professional equipment including but not limited to booms, discrete lighting, dollys, or any cameras larger than a handheld device are prohibited.
Due to crowding and operational/staffing constraints, we will not consider requests to film during peak commute times. Only projects that our involvement will benefit from will be considered, as the time and resources required to accomodate commercial film productions on BART property interfere with our ability to deliver core services.
A location fee, a fee for use of BART equipment and services and a fee for BART staff time will be assessed. All applicable fees must be paid in full by certified check and insurance requirements must be met before you begin your activity on BART property. Submitting an application does not guarantee that BART will issue a Permit. BART’s primary purpose is to provide safe, secure, reliable, and clean transportation services to its passengers. BART may, at its sole discretion, deny your application to prevent interference with BART’s primary transportation responsibilities.
-All applications must be submitted at least one month in advance of tentative production date.
IF YOU REQUIRE A PERMIT:
Please download the application as well the insurance requirements and fee policy (links to pdfs below). Before you fill out the application, please note the following:
- BART must receive both your application and application fee, in the form of a certified check or money order, no less than 20 business days (excluding BART administrative holidays) before your first proposed shoot date. There are no exceptions to this rule due to operational considerations.
- BART will not process your application until after we have received your application fee, which must be in the form of a certified check or money order. The application fee is $300. Students pay $30.
- Students will be required to show proof they are registered in an accredited learning institution, as well as proof that the shoot is for a current school project for credit.
- Please follow the directions on the application carefully so you know where to send your application and where to send your fee.
- BART will not issue any permit until all fees, including location fees and staff time fees, are paid in full via certified check or money order.
- BART will not issue permits until its Insurance Department approves all required insurance certificate(s).