Sales and Group Sales
Automatic Clipper Vending Machines
Clipper is the Bay Area’s all-in-one transit card administered by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. Clipper is reusable, reloadable, and regionally accepted on other transit systems.
All BART stations sell Clipper cards through automatic vending machines that accept nickels, dimes, quarters and $1 coins, as well as $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills. There is a one-time $3 per card purchase charge from Clipper. Credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express) may be used at all stations in select machines.
Discounts available on Clipper cards require proof of eligibility and therefore are not available at station vending machines. Youth, Senior, Low Income, and RTC (riders under age 65 with qualifying disabilities) Clipper cards can be obtained by mail or there are multiple locations across the Bay Area.
In December 2020, BART completed the transition of machines at all stations to offer Clipper as the only fare product available for purchase.
You can purchase 1 Clipper card at a time with a credit card at a BART Clipper vending machine. The same credit card is able to purchase Clipper cards up to 5 times over 2 days up and to load value on your Clipper card up to $115 value on a rolling 2 day limit.
Online and App Option to Purchase Clipper Card
Lake Merritt Station (Oakland) and Embarcadero Station (San Francisco) offer in person services in the BART system. There are various locations in the Bay Area where people can get in-person help with Clipper cards including discount cards.
BART Customer Service [email protected] Lake Merritt Stationaccordian expanded
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am–4:45pm
Location: Lake Merritt Station (concourse level), 800 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607
The Customer Services Center has a sales window in both the free and paid areas.
Replacement Senior/Youth Clipper Cards are NOT available at this office. For information on how to get a replacement Senior/Youth Clipper Card, please visit www.clippercard.com, or contact Clipper Customer Service at (877) 878-8883.
- Debit/Credit Cards accepted for all transactions.
- Senior Clipper Card (age 65 and over): Issued immediately. Show proof-of-age document such as driver's license, state ID card, birth certificate, passport, or other document verifying age.
- Youth Clipper Card (age 5 thru 18): Issued immediately. Show proof-of-age document such as driver's license, state ID card, birth certificate, passport, student ID card with date of birth, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID or Regional Transit Connection Discount ID Card (disability card): Qualified persons with disabilities can obtain and process an application for the card here.
- Paratransit ticket books $10 book for 10 tickets and $40 book for 40 tickets
- Commuter Checks: Limit of 10 per person, per day.
- BikeLink cards
- Ticket Exchange:
- Limits: Blue Ticket - 1 demagnetized ticket limit; Red Ticket -10 ticket limit; Green Ticket -10 ticket limit. Additional cash may be required. No Cash Refunds
- 11 or more tickets (maximum 30 tickets per transaction) must be mailed to Refunds-BART Treasury Department, P.O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688. Please see Refunds, Exchange, Donations for more information.
SENIOR/DISABILITY RIDERS: If you are a senior/disabled passenger who requires an attendant on transit, you and your attendant must both have personalized RTC Discount ID Cards in order for the attendant to pay the reduced fare. Transit agencies that do not accept Clipper ® require an RTC card to be eligible for the agency’s discount fare.
Clipper® Customer Service Center @ Embarcadero Stationaccordian expanded
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am – 12pm, 1pm-5pm; Saturday, 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m., 12 p.m.-2 p.m.
Location: Embarcadero Station (concourse level), 298 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
- Personal Debit/Credit Cards,Paper Commuter Vouchers & TranServe Commuter Debit/Credit Cards: Accepted
- WageWorks or Commuter Check Debit/Credit Cards: NOT accepted
- Adult Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Senior Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Youth Clipper Card: Issued immediately. Requires proof of eligibility such as a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID Card (disabled):Applications NOT accepted
- Damaged Tickets: See any BART station agent
For further assistance, contact Transit Information Center at www.bart.gov/siteinfo/contact.
Group Tickets Sales (orders 20 or more)
For orders involving 20 or more riders, please contact Group Sales at 510-464-6964 or email us at [email protected]. Sales of Blue Tickets which are priced for one-way travel must be a minimum of $6.20 each to encourage Clipper card usage.
BART needs 21 working days to complete group orders. Checks, money orders and credit cards are accepted.
Purchase Tickets for a Student Group
Students on a school-sponsored field trip for an educational purpose are eligible for a 62.5% discount to the full blue ticket fare when purchased through Group Sales. Adult chaperones pay the full blue ticket fare. Students must be chaperoned by adults and enter and leave stations as a group. Click here for more details on how to purchase group tickets for school sponsored field trips.
There are ticket surcharges -$0.50 per trip for Blue tickets,19 cents for Green and Red tickets for people with disabilities. Red tickets for youth age 5 through 18 pay a 25 cent surcharge per trip. Riders are encouraged to get the applicable Clipper card (www.clippercard.com) to avoid the surcharge.
Refund or Donate Tickets
Learn more about claiming a ticket refund or donating the unused portion to local nonprofit.