Ticket Sales, Group Sales
Quick Links for sales information
Most BART stations sell tickets and Clipper cards through automatic vending machines that accept nickels, dimes, quarters and $1 coins, as well as $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills. There is a one-time $3 per card purchase charge from Clipper. Credit and debit cards may be used at all stations in select machines.
In Summer of 2019, BART started a pilot program that expanded the number of stations where the only fare product available for purchase is the Clipper card. Stations without ticket vending machines include Embarcadero, Powell Street, 19th Street, Downtown Berkeley, Pittsburg Center and Antioch. Find answers to frequently asked questions here.
The only method to purchase BART fares online is www.clippercard.com. Clipper is an all-in-one transit card that keeps track of any passes, discount tickets, ride books and cash value that you load onto it, while applying all applicable fares, discounts and transfer rules. The value becomes available in 1-2 days. If you set up Autoload at clippercard.com the value is available immediately after a one-time credit or bank-card authorization process.
BART to Airport app mobile ticketing
BART is doing a test of mobile ticketing with the BART to Airport app. It offers discounted mobile tickets up to 25% off for group airport travel. Discounted tickets will be available for purchase through the app until further notice and must be used within 90 days of purchase. Learn more about how it works and download the app.
Lake Merritt (Oakland), Embarcadero (San Francisco), 12th Street/Oakland City Center (Oakland) Stations, Ferry Building (San Francisco) and San Francisco International Airport terminals sell tickets or provide services:
BART Customer Service Center@ Lake Merritt Stationaccordian expanded
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am–4:45pm
Location: Lake Merritt Station (concourse level), 800 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607
The Customer Services Center has a sales window in both the free and paid areas.
- Debit/Credit Cards accepted for all transactions.
- Blue Tickets for Sale: $5, $20, $45 and $60 tickets
- Red Tickets (Youth/Disabled): Limit of 3 per person, per day
- Green Tickets (Senior): Limit of 3 per person, per day
- Ticket Surcharge: 50 cents per trip for Blue tickets, 19 cents for Green and Red tickets for people with disabilities and seniors, 25 cents for Red tickets for youths age 5 through 18. Riders are encouraged to get the applicable Clipper card (www.clippercard.com) to avoid the surcharge.
- Commuter Checks: Limit of 10 per person, per day.
- Senior Clipper Card (age 65 and over): Issued immediately. Show proof-of-age document such as driver's license, state ID card, birth certificate, passport, or other document verifying age.
- Youth Clipper Card (age 5 thru 18): Issued immediately. Show proof-of-age document such as driver's license, state ID card, birth certificate, passport, student ID card with date of birth, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID or Regional Transit Connection Discount ID Card (disability card): Qualified persons with disabilities can obtain and process an application for the card here.
- Paratransit ticket books $10 book for 10 tickets and $40 book for 40 tickets
- BikeLink cards
- Ticket Exchange:
- Limits: Blue Ticket - 1 demagnetized ticket limit; Red Ticket -10 ticket limit; Green Ticket -10 ticket limit. Additional cash may be required. No Cash Refunds
- 11 or more tickets (maximum 30 tickets per transaction) must be mailed to Refunds-BART Treasury Department, P.O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688. Please see Refunds, Exchange, Donations for more information.
SENIOR/DISABILITY RIDERS: If you are a senior/disabled passenger who requires an attendant on transit, you and your attendant must both have personalized RTC Discount ID Cards in order for the attendant to pay the reduced fare. Transit agencies that do not accept Clipper ® require an RTC card to be eligible for the agency’s discount fare.
Clipper® Customer Service Center @ Embarcadero Stationaccordian expanded
Due to COVID-19, the Clipper Customer Service Center is closed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience. Clipper Customer Service hold reduced call center hours to Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 877.878.8883. (Updated March 30, 2020)
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 am – 7 pm; Saturday, 9am – 2 pm
Location: Embarcadero Station (concourse level), 298 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
- Personal Debit/Credit Cards,Paper Commuter Vouchers & TranServe Commuter Debit/Credit Cards: Accepted
- WageWorks or Commuter Check Debit/Credit Cards: NOT accepted
- BART Tickets:
Blue Tickets for Sale: $45 and $60 tickets
Red Tickets (Youth/Disabled)
Green Tickets (Senior)
- Adult Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Senior Clipper Card: Issued immediately
- Youth Clipper Card: Issued immediately. Requires proof of eligibility such as a copy of a birth certificate, passport, or other official document verifying age.
- Clipper RTC Discount ID Card (disabled):Applications NOT accepted
- Damaged Tickets: See any BART station agent
For further assistance, contact Transit Information Center at www.bart.gov/siteinfo/contact.
BART Ticket Exchange @ 12th Street/Oakland City Center Stationaccordian expanded
Due to COVID-19, the Ticket Exchange Booth is closed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please visit bart.gov/contact if you need to speak to a customer service representative. (Updated: April 2, 2020)
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 10 am – 1:30 pm, 2:45 pm – 6 pm
Location: 12th Street/Oakland City Center Station, 1245 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
Telephone: Customer Services at 510-464-7134
Tickets/Services: Tickets with minimal values can be consolidated into a larger single ticket. Please note the following restrictions:
- Additional cash may be required
- 12th Street will consolidate tickets to the nearest dollar i.e. $2, $3, $4 etc.
- Maximum of 30 tickets per transaction
- Tickets submitted for exchange must have been purchased by cash or debit card
- Tickets purchased with a credit card must be processed for a refund by a Station Agent
- No cash refunds
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Terminals (6 locations)accordian expanded
Location: San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA 94128
Tickets/Services: Blue(Adult), Red (Disabled/Youth) and Green (Senior) tickets are sold at:
- Arrival Level International Terminal A
- Arrival Level International Terminal G
- Arrival Level Terminal 1
- Arrival Level Terminal 2
- Arrival Level Terminal 3
- Departure Level International Terminal G
BART serves the San Francisco International Airport Station inside International Terminal, Level 3. All terminals are accessible by free AirTrain shuttle service. For SFO map, please go to www.flysfo.com.
Purchase Tickets at a Retail Location
BART red and green discount tickets are sold at some retail locations around the Bay Area.
To purchase 1 to 10 tickets of Blue High Value, Green (seniors), Red (Youth/Disabled), or Paratransit book of tickets, fill out this Tickets by Mail form and mail it to BART Customer Services Center, LMA-C, P.O. Box 12688, Oakland, Ca 94604-2688 with a check or money order made payable to BART. Call 510-464-7136 with questions.
For orders over 19 Blue tickets, 3 Red tickets, or 3 Green tickets call Group Sales at 510-464-6964 or email us at email@example.com. BART needs 21 working days to complete group orders. Checks, money orders and credit cards are accepted. You may also fill out the Tickets by Mail form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to BART Group Sales, 300 Lakeside Drive, 22nd Floor, Oakland, Ca 94612
Purchase Tickets for a Student Group
Students on a school-sponsored field trip for an educational purpose are eligible for a 62.5% discount to the full blue ticket fare when purchased through Group Sales. Adult chaperones pay the full blue ticket fare. Students must be chaperoned by adults and enter and leave stations as a group. Click here for more details on how to purchase group tickets for school sponsored field trips.
There are ticket surcharges -$0.50 per trip for Blue tickets,19 cents for Green and Red tickets for people with disabilities. Red tickets for youth age 5 through 18 pay a 25 cent surcharge per trip. Riders are encouraged to get the applicable Clipper card (www.clippercard.com) to avoid the surcharge.
Refund, Exchange or Donate Tickets
Learn more about claiming a ticket refund, consolidating tickets or donating the unused portion to local nonprofit.