Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount ID Card
Public transit operators in the Bay Area are pleased to offer the Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Discount Card to qualified persons with disabilities. The card entitles you to a reduced fare on fixed-route transit, rail and ferry systems throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Your RTC Discount Card is also a Clipper card. You can load value and passes on your RTC Card and the discounted fare will be deducted when you travel. For specific fare information, please contact your local transit agency.
For a printable "RTC Discount Card Program," booklet, please click on the following languages:
How to Get the RTC Discount Card
There are two types of eligibility for the RTC Card:
Medical Certificate Eligibility
1. Basic Eligibility
If you meet one or more of the following criteria, you can complete a Basic Eligibility Form or or call BART’s Customer Services Center at (510) 464-7136 and a form will be mailed to you to complete:
- Medicare card, the federally-issued red, white, and blue card - only for those under 65 years of age. (NOTE: Medi-Cal is not accepted for eligibility.)
- California DMV Placard Registration parking placard receipt. If you bring the blue or red placard, you must also bring the registration receipt. If you have disabled license plates (DP) instead of a placard, you must submit a "Medical Certificate Form.”
- Other California transit agency card that is equivalent to the RTC Card.
- Proof of Veterans Disability – A copy of your Service Connected Disability ID card and your VA Certification letter demonstrating a disability rating for aid and attendance, or for a service-connected disability with a rating level of 50% or higher. Please note that it may take more than several months to verify your application with the VA due to their current work volume. For a quicker turnaround, it is recommended that you submit a "Medical Certification Form" application instead.
Once Basic Eligibility Form has been completed, you must come in person with a valid photo identification such as driver's license, passport, or permanent resident card along with $3.00 processing fee. Check with participating Bay Area public transit agencies to process your RTC Card. Basic Eligibility renews every two years of the renewal date.
You will get your RTC card within 21 days.
2. Medical Eligibility
You can complete a Medical Certificate Form or call BART’s Customer Services Center at (510) 464-7136 and a form will be mailed to you to complete:
- Applicant completes Section 1.
- You must sign the application in two places: Section 2 and Section 4.
When submitting a Medical Certificate Form, only the following professionals who are licensed in the State of California to diagnose may complete the form:
- Licensed physicians with an M.D. or D.O. degree, licensed physician's assistants and nurse practitioners may certify in all categories in which they are licensed to diagnose
- Licensed chiropractors, categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed podiatrists, disabilities involving the feet under categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed optometrists (OPT), category 9
- Licensed audiologists (AU), category 10
- Licensed clinical psychologists (PSY) and licensed educational psychologists (LEP), categories 15, 16 and 17
- Licensed Marriage and Family Counselors (MFT), and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), category 17
* A complete list of "Eligibility Criteria General Description," is available as part of the Medical Certificate Form
Once Medical Certificate Form has been completed, you must come in person with a valid photo identification such as driver's license, passport, or permanent resident card along with $3.00 processing fee. Check with participating Bay Area public transit agencies to process your RTC Card. Based on the completion of the Medical Certification Form, you may have a Permanent Disability marked in front of the RTC discount card with a "P." Medical Eligibility renews every five years of the renewal date.
You will received your new RTC card within 30 days.
Effective January 01, 2020, there will be no longer be an expiration date for a five year medical renewal if there is a "P" marked in front of your RTC discount card. If you have a card BEFORE January 01, 2020, you will need to renew for the last time.
Renew or Replace an RTC Card:
- Download the Renewal Application or you may call your transit agency to request a renewal application.
- Download the Lost Card Application or you may call your transit agency to request a renewal application.
Senior Clipper card and Youth Clipper Card:
- Please call Clipper Card, 1-877-878-8883 to find out the locations where you can replace a lost or stolen Senior Clipper card or Youth Clipper card. Not all Customer Services Center can process replacement of Senior Clipper cards or Youth Clipper cards.
- You can go online clipper.com for more information about the Senior Clipper card and the Youth Clipper card.
If you have any additional questions about the Regional Transit Connection (RTC) Card, contact BART’s Customer Services Center at (510) 464-7136, Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm for assistance.