Coliseum Station Modernization
As part of our Station Modernization effort, BART completed its modernization project at Coliseum Station in June 2016 in anticipation of future land use development and airport growth. The goal of the project was to develop and prioritize potential station improvements to upgrade and modernize the station’s function, safety and security, capacity, sustainability, appearance, and improve the customer experience. BART partnered with the City and AC Transit to develop a station area vision that will inform the modernization work.
The Plan positioned BART to partner and seek funding for implementation.
To be announced.
- Enhance Coliseum Station to establish it as an inviting public space and community hub
- Modernize and update the physical condition of the station
- Ensure that the station reflects BART’s sustainability goals
- Improve the station’s access, capacity, and operations
- Support neighborhood vision and integrate an improved this station with community priorities
As part of our Station Modernization effort, BART is currently developing a comprehensive vision for this station as a gateway station. The goal of the project is develop a comprehensive vision to upgrade and modernize the station. The Vision is to modernize the station so that it demonstrates BART’s commitment to advancing transit ridership, improving the transit experience, enhancing the quality of life around the stations and meeting BART’s needs for the future. The station modernization revolves around the themes of:
Vibrancy – Reflect the energy of the surrounding community and enhance the station’s existing strengths
Connectivity – Strengthen multi-modal and universal access to the station and promote a safe and comfortable customer experience
Sustainability – Incorporate sustainable materials and technologies into the station to increase the life-cycle value of the station’s infrastructure and to conserve natural resources and protect the public investment
The improvements focus on increasing safety, capacity, sustainability, appearance, and enhancing the customer experience. In developing potential improvements for the station, BART has undertaken a planning process to:
- Identify existing station deficiencies
- Consider impacts of development and growth on station ridership
- Understand future access, capacity and operational issues
- Consider art & place-making improvements
- Coordinate conversation with stakeholders
- Engage the community to help identify and prioritize improvements