Notice of Public Hearing on FY2006 Budget
SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA RAPID TRANSIT DISTRICT
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY OF PRELIMINARY BUDGET PAMPHLETS
AND PUBLIC HEARING ON FISCAL YEAR 2006 BUDGET
AND PROPOSED FARE SURCHARGES, FARE DISCOUNT REDUCTIONS AND PARKING FEES
9:00 A.M. THURSDAY,
APRIL 28, 2005
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT:
Preliminary budget pamphlets of the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (?District?) concerning its preliminary annual budget for the fiscal year July 1, 2005 to June 30, 2006, will be available on and after April 17, 2005, to persons requesting them at the Office of the District Secretary, 23rd Floor, 300 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, California, 94612.
On Thursday, April 28, 2005, at 9:00 a.m. in the Board Room, 344 20th Street, 3rd floor, Oakland, California, 94612 pursuant to the direction of the Board of Directors, the District will convene a hearing for the purposes of receiving comments regarding the fixing of the annual budget. Any person may appear thereat and be heard regarding the increase, decrease, or omission of any item of said budget or the inclusion of additional items.
At the April 28, 2005 public hearing, comments also will be heard on proposed revenue enhancements including a fare surcharge for capital programs, an increase to the San Mateo County surcharge, reductions to fare discounts, and additional parking fees at District parking facilities. These proposals are in response to the substantial increases in expenses that have not been offset by sufficiently increased revenues, creating a significant budget deficit for the District's FY06 Operating Budget.
The fare surcharge, fare surcharge increase, fare discount reduction, and parking fee proposals could include some or all of the following elements:
- Expansion of the Reserved Parking Area potentially available at East Bay stations from 25% to 40% of the parking spaces at any one station. Monthly Reserved Parking fee would be $105 per month should the number of monthly parking permits sold equal 40% of the station parking spaces.
- Single Day Reserved Parking fees up to $5.00 per day.
- Daily Paid Parking fee up to $5.00 at some or all BART stations.
- Attendant Assisted Parking fees at selected stations up to $8.00 per day.
- Fare surcharge for capital programs within the existing system, not to exceed 15 cents, applied to trips beginning and ending within the 3-county District including Daly City, in the form of nickel increments or an average percent increase sufficient to generate revenue equivalent to the estimated revenue from a nickel increment surcharge.
- An increase to the San Mateo County surcharge (currently applied to SFO Extension operating expenses), in the same amount as the fare surcharge for capital programs within the existing system, not to exceed 15 cents. The San Mateo County surcharge applies to trips that begin and end at San Mateo County stations (except trips to/from San Mateo County stations and SFIA station) and trips between San Mateo County stations (except Daly City station) and San Francisco stations.
- Reduction of the fare discount for senior, disabled, and child passengers from the current level of 75% to a smaller discount but not less than a 50% discount.
At a future meeting, the Board of Directors may adopt the actual changes to fare surcharges, fare discounts and/or parking fees. Implementation of any fare changes or parking fees for the District would take effect during Fiscal Year 2006 (July 1, 2005 to June 30, 2006). For more information, contact Kathleen Kelly at 510-287-4752.
Comments may be made at the hearing or should be sent to:
Kenneth A. Duron
San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District
300 Lakeside Drive, 23rd floor
Oakland, California 94612
Dated at Oakland, California, this 11thth day of April, 2005.