BART launches website www.bartlabornews.com
BART is pleased to announce the launch of its new website: www.bartlabornews.com. The site has been established to provide the latest information regarding contract negotiations between BART and its five unions.
2,841 employees are represented by these contract negotiations, and include:
- Service Employees International Union, Local 1021 (SEIU) - which represents 1,430 employees who are mostly mechanics and clerical employees.
- Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1555 (ATU) - which represents 945 employees who are mostly train operators, station agents and foreworkers.
- BART Police Officers Association (POA) - which represents 215 rank and file officers.
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, Local 3993 (AFSCME) - which represents 210 employees who are mostly middle managers.
- BART Police Managers Association (PMA) - which represents 41 sergeants and lieutenants.
BART’s current four-year labor contracts expire on June 30, 2013.
“Our labor negotiations are focused on bargaining a balanced contract for our workers, as well as ensuring the long-term financial health and sustainability of our system,” said BART’s General Manager Grace Crunican. “We value the contributions of our hardworking employees, which make our system a global leader in public transportation. It is our hope to have a contract in place by June 30th that meets the long-term needs of our employees, our system, and our riders.”
Contract negotiations will focus on important adjustments to employee healthcare, pension plans and work rules that are necessary to create a modern and economically sustainable contract.