Renewable Energy RFP - 2017
BART 2017 Renewable Energy Request for Proposals (RFP) - Closed
Update: On May 8, 2017, BART solicited competitive proposals for the purchase of RPS-eligible renewable energy. On December 7, 2017, as a result of this RFP, BART executed two power purchase agreements for wind and solar energy supply with NextEra Energy and Recurrent Energy. Read more about the procurement here.
BART uses approximately 400,000 MWh/year to provide rapid transit service throughout the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, and San Mateo, with service expected to begin in Santa Clara County in 2018. Under authority granted by Section 701.8 of the California Public Utilities Code (“PUC”), BART has wide latitude to buy electricity from various sources, including those defined as eligible renewable energy resources under PUC §399.12.
Through this RFP, BART seeks to purchase renewable energy to meet a significant portion of its electric energy needs. The RFP is open to projects 5 MW and larger, with deliveries beginning between 2019 and 2024 with a term of 10 to 30 years. BART seeks to purchase between 15,000 MWh and 350,000 MWh per year through this RFP. This RFP will only consider off-site renewable projects – i.e. projects not sited on BART property or assets, or otherwise located on the load side of a BART premise electric meter.
As described in the RFP itself, BART embraces creativity and encourages Bidders to present services, product offerings, and contract terms in addition to standard offerings to help BART maximize market opportunities and mitigate market risks.
Issuance of RFP
May 8, 2017
Deadline to submit Notice of Intent to Bid Form (“NOI”)
May 15, 2017, by 5:00 PM Pacific Prevailing Time (“PPT”)
Bidder Webinar – open to Bidders who submit an NOI
May 18, 2017, at 1:00 PM PPT
Deadline to submit questions
May 24, 2017, by 5:00 PM PPT
Responses to questions provided
June 1, 2017
Deadline to submit proposals
June 9, 2017, by 5:00 PM PPT
Notification of initial shortlisted Bidders
July 13, 2017
Notification of final shortlisted Bidders
August 11, 2017
August – November 2017
Final contract approval
December 7, 2017
Execution of PPAs
December 7, 2017
- BART 2017 Renewable RFP (PDF)
- Exhibit A: Notice of Intent to Bid Form (Word)
- Exhibit B: Bidder Information Template (Excel)
- Exhibit C: Term Sheet (Word)
- Exhibit D: Generation Profile Template (Excel)
- Exhibit E: BART Representative Load Shape Data (Excel)
RFP General Provisions
(Please note this RFP is close; Please refer to the RFP document itself for RFP terms and protocol. In case of any conflict between the information on this webpage and in the RFP document, the RFP document prevails)
- BART is under no obligation to execute any agreement as a result of this RFP.
- BART may issue, reissue, amend, terminate or restart this RFP process at any time, or initiate, terminate or restart discussions with any Bidder at any time.
- Bidders are solely responsible for meeting the terms of the RFP and for all costs incurred during development of their proposals or as a result of participating in this RFP.
- Only Bidders who submit an NOI will be provided instructions to join the Bidder Webinar.
- BART will only accept questions from Bidders up to the deadline to submit questions noted in the RFP Schedule. All answers will be circulated to Bidders who submit an NOI (please do not include proprietary or company-identifying information in submitted questions). BART reserves the right to combine, rephrase, or not respond to some questions.
- All questions and materials received by BART are subject to the confidentiality provisions in the RFP.
RFP/RFO Distribution Lists
To receive future communications related to BART’s purchases or sales of energy-related and climate-related products, including renewable energy, capacity products, GHG Allowances, Low Carbon Fuel Standard credits and more, please sign up on the Energy Solicitations Sign-Up page.
Please address any questions or comments regarding the RFP or its materials to [email protected].