Upcoming TOD projects
MacArthur Transit Village
- This project is a collaborative effort involving BART, the City of Oakland’s Redevelopment Agency, MacArthur Transit Community Partners (MTCP) and other stakeholders.
- The MacArthur Transit Village will include 877 high-density residential units, over 35,000 square feet of retail, a new 481 space BART parking garage, and other improvements to the station on a former BART parking lot.
- So far, 90 affordable residential units (constructed by BRIDGE housing), the parking garage, and other BART station improvements have been completed.
- Hines Interests is currently nearing completion on its 385 units and over 25,500 square feet of retail. They expect to be substantially completed by August 2019.
- In May 2018, Boston Properties began construction on the remaining 402 (high-rise) units and 13,000 square feet of retail with substantial completion anticipated in mid-2020.
- BART plaza upgrades were completed in June 2019. Improvements to the plaza included a 200+ space secured bicycle station; removal of existing landscaping planters and benches; replacement of the Plaza’s floor materials; new lighting, benches and wayfinding.
- The BART Board authorized an execution of an Exclusive Negotiating Agreement with Walnut Creek Transit Lifestyle Associates (WCTLA) in 2000, and an option agreement was executed in 2002.
- The Walnut Creek Transit Village will consist of approximately 596 multi-family housing units (approximately $7 million will be paid in affordable housing in-lieu fees to the City at the time of building permit issuance), 27,000 square feet of retail space, a new privately-owned replacement parking garage for BART patrons, a new BART zone command police facility, and a new intermodal bus facility.
- The parking garage was completed in early 2019. The developer team is now initiating construction on its first phase of apartment units.
Pleasant Hill (partial)
- Phase II of the Pleasant Hill Transit Village is currently under construction. This includes an additional 200 units of market-rate rental housing and 2,300 square of feet retail.
- The third phase is entitled as a 12-story, 290,000 square foot office or hotel development.
APPROVED AND FORTHCOMING
Richmond Transit Village Phase II
- In December 2017, the City of Richmond finished their Nevin Avenue Improvements Project that included a new elevator and redesigned approach to the station from the east.
- The completion of the City’s project has paved the way for the next phase of the Transit Village that will develop the former BART parking lot and adjacent City property on the east side of the station.
- Ground leases for a future upscale lifestyle hotel development and future retail development were executed by the Board in 2006. BART’s development partner, Barings, is currently soliciting a hotel/conference/retail for the site.
- In late 2018, the BART board approved the terms of a ground lease option for development of the property with Republic Urban Properties (RUP).
- Updates on the project's status can be found at BART's Millbrae TOD page, the City of Millbrae's page, and RUP's site.
- BART has partnered with the San Francisco’s Mayor’s Office on Housing to construct a 131 unit affordable housing development aimed at very low, low, and moderate income families.
- This project, which is being developed jointly by Related California and Mission Housing Development Corporation, is presently seeking funding and financing, and if successful is expected to break ground by 2021.
In February 2019, China Harbour Engineering Co. (CHEC) and their development partner Strategic Urban Development Alliance (SUDA) secured entitlements from the City of Oakland for a mixed-use Transit-Oriented Development consisting of 382,460 square feet of office space, 762 residential units (240 of which will be affordable) and 75,000 square feet of retail on approximately 5 acres.
More recently, in June of this year CHEC/SUDA and BART applied for a plan that would add another 149,540 square feet of office and 75 residential units to the proposed project.
For more information, please visit the West Oakland TOD page.
- The BART Board has selected the team of Strada Investment Group and the East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC) to develop high rise residential, affordable housing and high rise office at the Lake Merritt BART station.
- For updates on the project status, please visit the Lake Merritt TOD page.
Fruitvale Phase IIB
- The Unity Council and BRIDGE Housing have partnered to develop 181 units of affordable housing and a 6,000 square foot space for a non-profit tenant. The project is fully approved and seeking funding.
- BART has issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for a developer of property at the North Concord/Martinez station. The BART Board is expected to review the Staff recommendation in August 2019.
- Please visit the North Concord TOD website for more information and updates.
El Cerrito Plaza
- BART is preparing to release a solicitation for a developer of property at the El Cerrito Plaza station. Staff are currently engaging members of the El Cerrito community, as well as interested BART riders and other stakeholders, to refine the Goals and Objectives for development of the site.
- For more information visit the El Cerrito Plaza TOD website.